Sturgis Library has recently become the newest FamilySearch affiliate library. This designation means that Library patrons will have greater and more convenient access to the wealth of genealogical resources available through FamilySearch, the world’s largest repository of free genealogical records and the manager of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. “Less than 5% of the world’s genealogical records are available online, and most family history researchers cannot afford to travel to an archive nationally or worldwide to find the historic records they are seeking,” said Paul Nauta, FamilySearch Public Affairs Manager. “If FamilySearch has filmed the records they need, then as far as they will need to travel to view them is Sturgis Library.” FamilySearch has over 200 camera teams filming historic records in 45 countries on any given day. These records are then circulated to public patrons through FamilySearch centers worldwide.
FamilySearch extends access to its vast collections or genealogical and historical records by circulating microfilms of the records through select affiliate public libraries and regional Family History Centers.
To order film and access it at Sturgis Library users should follow these steps:
- Go to https://familysearch.org/catalog-search and create a new account or access an existing one. You can search for records and determine which items you’d like to borrow on microfilm.
- Order microfilm at https://familysearch.org/films/. There is a $7.50 charge to order film, which covers the cost of processing and shipping.
- Select Sturgis Library as the location to mail the film.
- You will be contacted when the film arrives.
- We suggest you make a reservation to use the microfilm reader/printer. The reader can be reserved for an hour at a time, with more time available if no on else is waiting. Call the Library at 508-362-6636 to reserve time during regular library hours.
- Copies are 20 cents per page.
For hours and directions to the Library, CLICK HERE.
Call us at 508-362-6636 with questions, or email us at email@example.com.