December 2021 Newsletter
Learn about exciting programs and events coming up this month!
Read our FY2021 Annual Donor Report
Our digital newspaper archive of the Barnstable Patriot and the Register newspapers cover Cape Cod and the Islands from 1830-2017.
Learn how you can help support Library programs, services, and our historic building. It's easier than you think!
Welcome to Sturgis Library on Cape Cod
Get directions, check our current hours, and plan your visit.
Our archives are filled with maritime history, genealogy, and more.
Find articles in local newspapers from 1830-2017.
Experience some of Cape Cod’s finest museums at a discount.
Our building is the oldest structure housing a public library in the USA.
Most of our funding comes from donations, grants and other gifts.
Search Library Catalog
Public Library & Research Archive on Cape Cod
Sturgis Library, a historic public library in the village of Barnstable, is dedicated to providing services and resources to meet the needs of a contemporary community while preserving and promoting Cape Cod history. The library:
- Supports the lifelong pursuit of personal, vocational, cultural, and intellectual enrichment.
- Fosters literacy, curiosity, and creativity in library users of all ages.
- Promotes the free exchange of ideas and serves as a community meeting place.
- Offers a gateway to emerging technologies and informational databases which enhance traditional resources.
- Serves as a regional archive and research center for the study of Barnstable County, history, genealogy, and maritime culture.
Lucy Loomis, Library Director