Sturgis Library presents exhibits of the work of local artists in our Simpkins Room gallery and displays of interesting collections and work in our display cases.
Sturgis Library hosts exhibits and displays by individuals and organizations that highlight artwork, photography, crafts, collections, or that provide information to the public.
1. Individuals and organizations may reserve the exhibit area or one of the display cases for one month at a time. Priority is given to library-related displays prepared by staff members. We offer the following display options:
- Simpkins Room Art Gallery (can accommodate up to 9 framed works, no larger than 22″ wide)
- Simpkins Room standing glass display case (Measures 67″ wide x 31″ deep x 8″ high) — great for smaller pieces (inside or on top or both).
- Lobby standing glass display case (Measures 71″ wide x 32″ deep x 15″ high) — great for smaller pieces (inside or on top or both).
2. Individuals and organizations will plan and execute their own displays and exhibits. They will familiarize themselves with the Library’s exhibit space prior to the exhibit. They will provide supporting literature or information, signage, background material, and price lists. They will remove their exhibit on the agreed-upon date.
3. The Library reserves the right to refuse to exhibit and display materials it deems unsuitable, or those materials that do not support its mission.
4. Sturgis Library will promote the exhibits and displays in their monthly newsletter and on their website. Information about the exhibit or display, or biographical information about the artist/exhibitor, should be provided to the library prior to the exhibit.
5. If an artist is offering their artwork or crafts for sale, they will work with the Library Director to establish a procedure for sale of items. The Library will receive 25% of the sale price as commission. The artist should prepare a price list sheet for staff to record sales, and provide a large manila envelope or container where staff can deposit proceeds from the sales. At the end of the exhibit, the artist/exhibitor will provide the library with the commission either in cash or by check.
You may print a copy of these guidelines and an exhibit/display APPLICATION FORM by clicking here.
To reserve exhibit space or for additional information, please contact our Adult and Youth Services Librarian, Christy Munier, at email@example.com or call 508-362-6636.